Over the past five years, we have enjoyed raising pigs on pasture on our farm. They are a great complement to a vegetable farm, always happy to receive any vegetables we have to spare! This year, their pasture was in a section of the farm along a fence-line under the trees and included a large area of open field. We really enjoy having them here, getting to see them eat pasture, roll and lay in puddles or in the sun, root about for insects, chase each other around, and enjoy vegetables from the garden.
The pigs we raised this year are different from the breed we have raised in the past. They are a Berkshire / Tamworth / Wild Boar cross. Along with grass, insects, and vegetables, we have been feeding the pigs Certified Organic, non-GMO feed from Jones Feed Mill.
HOW CAN YOU BUY OUR DELICIOUS PORK?
If you are interested in purchasing pork, here are your options:
20-25 lb mixed cut bundles – $8.00 /lb.
- Cuts vary per box, but will include smoked ham, roast, pork chops, sausage, bacon, ground pork, and possibly ribs. All meat will come frozen and requires 1-1.5 cubic feet freezer space.
Side (Half pig) – $5.00 /lb. This price is based on the hanging carcass weight of the pig, which typically ranges between 100-120 lb per half. Hanging weight includes bones, so you will receive less than this amount of cut meat (on average 70-90 lb cut meat per half).
While this option does not necessarily result in a price less than the bundle price, it does give you lots of flexibility to choose the cuts that you prefer.
For this option…
- You will require approximately 3 – 4 cubic feet of freezer space.
- You decide how you would like the meat cut (steaks, hams, breakfast sausage, ribs, bacon, side-pork (pork belly) ground pork, tenderloin, butterfly chops, special sausage flavours etc.) and any curing / smoking that you would like done (some additional charges will apply). We are happy to help you discuss all the possibilities you can choose from.
- You will have the option to get additional items (leaf lard, soup/dog bones, feet, head, liver)
- Please note: Butchering instructions for side orders need to be provided to Amy at Fiddle Foot Farm as soon as possible. Please call to arrange a time to go over the butchering options.
We will accept orders for both bundles and halves on a first-come-first-served basis. Please place your order by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your phone number.
We ask for a $100 deposit for a Side (cash, cheque or e-transfer to email@example.com) to secure your order. Remaining payment will be collected when you pick up your pork at the farm on your pick-up day.
No deposit is required for a bundle.
When you place your order, we will let you know which pick-up day to come.
Pick-Up Day #1: Monday October 17th
Pick-Up Day #2: Monday October 31st
Pick-Up Day #3: Monday November 14th
Please be in touch if you have any questions.